Connect chains with IBC
The Inter-Blockchain Communication Protocol
Ever wondered how cross-chain communication is possible? Get a fast introduction to the world of the Inter-Blockchain Communication Protocol (IBC).
Learn more about the transportation, authentication, and ordering layer of IBC and take a deeper dive into how token transfers between chains become possible. Finally, have a quick look at Interchain accounts and the tools that are available to visualize networks of chains connected with IBC.
# In this chapter
In this chapter, you will:
- Discover what IBC is.
- Get an introduction to the different layers of IBC and how connections, channels, and clients relate to each other in IBC.
- Explore light client development.
- Dive into working with the solo machine client.
- Take a look at IBC token transfers.
- Explore Interchain accounts.
- Dive into IBC Middleware, with a focus on creating custom IBC Middleware, and how to integrate it into a chain.
- Get an overview of helpful tools for IBC.
What is IBC?
Introduction to the IBC Protocol
IBC/TAO - Connections
Establishing connections in IBC
IBC/TAO - Channels
The role of channels in IBC
IBC Application Developer Introduction
IBC/TAO - Clients
Clients in IBC
Light Client Development
Develop light clients
IBC Solo Machine
Solo machine client
IBC Token Transfer
Fungible token transfers across chains
Custom middleware to wrap an IBC application
Create a Custom IBC Middleware
Integrating IBC Middleware Into a Chain
Integrate IBC middleware with a base application
Overview of some helpful tools